Thursday, June 25, 2009

No MoonWalker 2

Damn.








Beyond all the tasteless jokes that I've already told today when I heard that Michael Jackson has passed away, I am truly sad. I grew up on Michael's music, loved his videos, his early Jackson 5 music and have always adored him as a singer and an entertainer. Above all else, I truly believe that Michael lived for us, his fans. He will be missed.


Hard to believe the various music and movie legends who knew Michael as a child and managed to outlive him. From Diana Ross to Liz Taylor, Gladys Knight to Liza Minnelli. He worked with directors like John Landis, Sidney Lumet, Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese while arguably changing the face of not only pop music, but MTV and the music video form forever. I am disheartened that I never got to see him perform, because I was looking forward to seeing him in Las Vegas soon. He gave hundreds of millions of dollars to various charities and was one of the first celebrities to lead the drive to fund AIDS research.



There is much more I could write about a man who was greatly admired by the children of my generation, but I would rather keep it succinct. I don't think Michael would have wanted us to spend much time crying over his life. I think he would have wanted us to rock the night away.

No comments: