Friday, June 27, 2008

I Just Want To Celebrate, Another Day of Life

Tomorrow is my birthday.

But enough about me. How about who I share my birthday with?


Gilda Radner


John Belushi once famously said, "Chicks aren't funny." But, I don't think he meant Gilda. In her short time on Saturday Night Live, she was funny, heartwarming and showed that humor does not have a gender bias. She won an Emmy for her work, made movies with husband Gene Wilder and set the standard for SNL's female cast members. Gilda passed away in 1989.


Pat Morita


Forever immortalized as Mr. Miyagi in the Karate Kid films, Pat Morita was an amazing American actor of Japanese descent and extremely significant as an accepted minority actor in Hollywood. He never took any roles that were stereotypes, loved to work and was nominated for an Academy Award. Pat passed away in 2005.

Mel Brooks


Saving the best for third, Mel Brooks is an accomplished comedian, war veteran, writer, director, actor, playwright, author, songwriter, producer, Emmy winner, Grammy winner, Oscar winner and Jew. He has worked with Richard Pryor, Gene Hackman, Carl Reiner, Dave Chappelle, Sid Caesar, Orson Welles, Harvey Korman, Will Ferrell, Kermit the Frog, Richard Lewis and of course, his late lovely wife, Anne Bancroft. He is also responsible for the funniest movie of all time, Young Frankenstein.

And finally, John Cusack.

Just watch.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

John Cusack Rocks....and so do you. Happy Birthday cutie! and don't forget to shutupa you moutha! (just felt like throwing that in there ;-)

Fletch said...

Happy Birthday, dude. Awesome clip. Love the shot of Bush waving - I hadn't seen that.

Big Mike Mendez said...

Thank you for the Happy Birthdays, this year felt like one of the best ever.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

elgringo said...

What? You're so lucky! I share my birthday with three different members of three different boy bands! What the hell? Well, Dustin Hoffman and I have the same birthday too so I guess that makes up for it.

Scott
he-shot-cyrus.blogspot.com

Big Mike Mendez said...

Three boy bands? That might not be so bad at like, a high school kegger or something. But yes, sharing a birthday with the man who played Dorothy Michaels more than makes up for it.

Nayana Anthony said...

I am soooo jealous of your birthday mates. All I got was freaking Jane Wyman.

Big Mike Mendez said...

Jane Wyman isn't soooo bad.

Thanks for the comment.