Monday, May 19, 2008

Big Mike's Lil' Update 5/19/08

A few news bits to run past you.

- Prince Caspian doesn't bring in $100 million or even a modest $70-80 million this weekend, managing only $66 million. Disney had hoped the Narnia movies would be their Harry Potter franchise, but I have heard that they are unsure about whether they will finish these movies. Despite the fact that production is moving on Dawn Treader, at this time, there are no plans for a fourth film. Will Caspian's performance have an impact on that decision? We'll find out.

- In more exciting news, Mary Elizabeth Winstead has been cast opposite Michael Cera in the Edgar Wright directed comic adaptation of Scott Pilgrim. Whew! Michael Cera, Edgar Wright, comics AND Winstead?! Grab the sleeping bags, because we're camping out for that bad boy. For those of you unfamiliar with Ms. Winstead from Grindhouse or Live Free and Die Hard, here she is.



- Kingdom of the Crystal Skull did not take quite the critic drubbing at Cannes that some people thought it might. More interesting though, is George Lucas' idea for another Indy movie, starring Shia "The Beef" with Harrison Ford coming back a la Sean Connery in Last Crusade. I'm holding off judgment on that until I see this new one. But I will say this. I do actually like the kid and think he can act. Check out A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints for further proof.


- Have you been following the Indy Blog-a-thon at Cerebral Mastication? There are some really great pieces getting thrown up over there. Read one of my favorites about Indy's lessons throughout the series here at Gateway Cinephiles. Damn, I was really looking for a J. Walter Weatherman joke there, but I lost it.

Damn.

2 comments:

Roy said...

Honestly, I don't have good feelings about Indy 4 and the trailer didn't do anything to change my prediction. I do agree, however, that Lebouf can act. When I first saw him in "Holes," I knew that for a fact.

"Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" and "Transformers" didn't really give him much to work with, but certainly gave him a fair bit of exposure.

After watching Indy 4, we'll know if he got it in him to be the next Indy.

Big Mike Mendez said...

I'm going into Crystal Skull with low expectations and the firmly held belief that the movie will be good, but not great.

Thanks for the comment...